Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thumper's Rule and Bambi's Lesson

I said I was going to bed early.  I haven't been getting enough sleep.  My brain has been in overload for weeks, one lesson after another, one surprise or twist to the next.  It's like being caught up in a tornado, but enjoying the breeze.  It's not early, I am clearly not asleep. Epic fail... windy and liking it...

I've been thinking a lot today about being accountable for what comes out of one's mouth.  Most people don't think about impact of words before they spew them.  It has been a point of awareness for me for some time now.  Sometimes I think we have lessons in a day.  Today's lesson was that of the "Bambi Rule" (which is actually Thumper's rule and Bambi's lesson, but let's not split hares here... Hares!  Ha! See what I did there?!)

"If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all."

I repeated the same sentences four times today with this rule in mind.  Some of it was advice, some of it was a rule of my own.  Right now, I would like it to be a reminder to every single person who interacts with another human being at any point - so, simply - everyone.  Are you ready?

Angry words are a waste of energy.  Do not participate in them.  I refuse to destroy another person in anyway in order to make myself feel better or more powerful.  If I cannot speak without spite or anger, I simply will not speak. 

And now having said that, I will add there's no point in speaking when there's no one that will listen.

I have watched people over the past few days belittle others to make a point to attempt to accomplish a goal.  The result has been resentment and returned anger.  The result was more struggle, and no forward movement.  A stalemate of ire.

What is so difficult about simply being kind?  Everyone you meet has a past, a present struggle, and future not yet unfolded.   Be someone that eases the pain, lessens the struggle, and brightens the path ahead; and if you cannot, then simply - go away.  And please, do so quietly. There's been enough noise in this world, and it's gotten us no where.




No comments:

Post a Comment